Training and Education
I am a member of the Association of Texas Midwives and adhere to the Associations standards of practice.
I have completed the requirements for license in the state of Texas and maintain annual licensing with the Department of State Health Services (formerly the Texas Department of Health - TDH). I have completed the required training to be midwifery preceptor in Texas and I am qualified to instruct and train apprentice midwives in classrooms study and clinicals to satisfy DSHS licensing standards. I consistently exceeding the DSHS requirements for continuing education by attending numerous conferences, seminars, workshops and lectures to stay current on topics related to childbirth.
I am current member of the North Texas Midwives Association (NTM), a local support and educational group.
I have passed the North American Registry of Midwives (NARM) examination and satisfied their certification requirements, (the national midwifery education and testing organization} and WAS a Certified Professional Midwife (CPM) although my membership to this organization is currently lapsed by choice. Originally trained in England I received my educational qualifications through the University of East Anglia and practiced there in Ipswich Hospital, Ipswich Suffolk, England as a Registered Midwife, registered through the United Kingdom Central Council (UKCC).
Myself and any other birth attendant working with me will be certified in Health Care Provider CPR and Neonatal Resuscitation (updated every 2 years).
I have completed training in the following areas:
· Water birth protocols and techniques
· Comfort measures in labor
· Phlebotomy (drawing of blood)
· Breastfeeding counseling
· Prenatal assessment and risk management
· Cessation of smoking techniques
· Relaxation techniques
· Infant well-being
· Counseling on various women's issues
I also have the following in my resume:
· Trained in the use of aroma therapy during pregnancy and labor
· United Kingdom Central Council (UKCC) Registered Midwife (1994-1998)
· Texas Documented/Licensed Midwife from 1998
· NARM Certified Professional Midwife (2003 to 2009)
· Graduated Family Birth Services Midwifery Course 1997
· Member of The Association of Texas Midwives 1998 to present
· Board Member of the Association of Texas Midwives (ATM)2004-2005, 2006 to
· Secretary of the ATM Education Committee 1999 to 2005
· Education Committee Director of ATM from 10-27-05 t0 9-2010
· Teacher of ATM Students "Labor and Delivery" 2005 - 2007
· Teacher of ATM students "Labor & Delivery Complications" 1999 to 2012
· Teacher of ATM Students "Postpartum/Newborn" 1999 to 2007
· Teacher of ATM Students "Advanced Skills" 2006 to 2012
· Suturing instructor for ATM & MTI 1998 to 2012
· Postpartum Support Organizer of the National Childbirth Trust (UK) 1984-1988
· Certified lactation educator (TDH/WIC) 1999
· Member of Midwives Alliance of North America (MANA)
· Voting member of Royal College of Midwives (UK) 1991 - 1998
· Treasurer of NTM 1998 - 1999
· Vice President of the North Texas Midwives Association 2002 to 2005, 2007 to 2009
· Acting President of the North Texas Midwives Association 2004-2005
· President of the North Texas Midwives Association Jan 2006 to 2007
· Continuing Education workshop organizer for the North Texas Midwives Association 2003 - 2005
I have attended over 900 births as a midwife and many more in other capacities (montrice, childbirth coach, doula, assistant to medical personnel) These other births have included underwater births, VBAC, twins and vaginal breech births, c-sections, vacuum deliveries and forceps deliveries.